Tuesday 25 September 2012

Sleeping Mask

Hullo!


I went to her MA show last week, she's an illustrator, and it was bloody amazing. A couple of weeks (months, maybe years) before, she asked me to make her sister a sleeping mask. I did. 

I thought about ideas for sleeping masks. Lauren's got a particularly good one from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/swiedebie/sold?ref=shopinfo_sales_leftnav

My ideas included the following themes:
Pacman
Dinosaur
Fox

But I may have been feeling hungry, because I settled on Jammy Dodgers.


I used 2 layers of black fabric, one layer of lovely floral fabric that my wonderful neighbour gave me and felt for the Dodgers.


I like after you stitch, the back kind of tells you what's happened on the front, but doesn't tell you everything.

Jammy dodgers.
I had considered putting more stitching on the dodger to demonstrate the biscuit-ey grooves on the biscuit, but I got scared and didn't. Someone who saw the mask prior to giving it to Lol recommended that I do next time, just so there's no confusion about what the monkey the circle heart filled shapes are.

This was my first attempt. I stitched the dodgers on the floral fabric first and then stitched the mask together (inside out technique). But after I pulled the material all through so the outside was on the outside and not the inside,  it had misshaped the Dodgers. So I scrapped it (I didn't really, it's in my collection of rejected makes, or lessons learned).

So I tried it without the Dodgers to see what the monk was making the fabric go a funny shape. I have to do things in practice because my theoretical brain can't always keep up. I realised it was the nose curve making the fabric crease...duh!

So then I thought, OFF WITH THE NOSE CURVE. and just did a block-ish shape.

And voila, the final piece. Must remember to put the Dodger bits on the Dodgers next time.


And from attempt 1 to the finished product. Just in case the four individual images were not enough. 

I hope Lauren's sister likes it. I enjoyed making it. I'm going to make the dinosaur one next, and maybe a Sega remote one after that. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment